Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Gear Whoring

I finally got off my ass over the weekend and picked up a full set of climbing gear because you know…it’s practically winter and all here so maybe I can hug gear for warmth since it’s pretty much worthless in this weather. In another month or so I should think about shopping for some bikini. I’ve been a bit of a gear mooch when it comes to climbing and with my favorite climbing buddy waaaay the fuck in California and my other sometimes climbing buddy just married, I realize I need to pick up my own gear. I’ve been having some crappy luck finding a new climbing buddy so I figured if I got my own gear, I can train one of my current outdoorsy buddy to climb with me. That or I’ll beg my Cali buddy to marry me and move back here to climb with me. I hope he’s not married or something because I’ll have to run some poor gal over. How many years of vegetarianism does it take to erase that kind of bad karma? Yeah, so back to finding a new belay buddy and buying climbing gear.

First thing first, must buy rope! Rope is a good thing, the way I see it, if I fall under hard times, I can always use some rope to bind some kidnapped victim to be held for ransom. Yeah! What I didn’t expect is that climbing ropes are the bling blingiest rope amongst ropes and the price reflected it. If I do go broke, I’ll just bring the damned rope back to REI, demand a full refund and live in style for a while…screw this hostage business. So what fancy rope did I pick up? Well…it’s this dual-weave thingie meaning it has a different design on each half of the rope so climbers know where the midpoint is. The rope costs 230 bucks, I had no idea they cost that much. Then again, that is the ONE thing keeping you from plummeting to your death…so let’s not be stingy there.

Another important thing? Quickdraws. A single quickdraw isn’t all that expensive, say 25 bucks, but when you think about needing a dozen…ouch. Still that’s the doohickey holding your rope to the rock, so skimping here might not be so smart either.

So now that I’ve got gear that I can’t use, I need to shop for a belay buddy, I wonder if REI carries one of those.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home