Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Headlee Pass

I got up on Sunday with the bad taste of our Vancouver trip ending in my mouth. I was also oddly tired so I bummed around for a bit. Then I realized it’s stupid to bum around. So I decided to go for a day hike. I’ve been wanted to hit Vesper Peak for a while so I figured that could be good. However due to the excessive bumming and Sunday being my lazy day and all, I didn’t get to the trailhead until nearly 2 in the afternoon. I brought my headlamp because I figured if the trail wasn’t too rough, I could still maybe go for summit.

The trail is beyond rough. The easier parts of it involved navigating through numerous creeks with random wood pieces haphazardly draped across it, like a death trap pretending it could aid a hiker in crossing but will give under the smallest amount of weight. I sank in past ankle deep water while stepping on one of these wood pieces (thanks again, gaiters, you are the love of my life).

After the treeline, the trail winds through some brush which claws and bites at hikers. Beyond the brush are loose gravels/boulders galore. Those that have read my blog knows loose gravels and I are sworn enemies. Random cairns marked the path, but it would be hard to try to locate in the dark. Seeing how difficult it could be to navigate, I figured I could just wait to hit summit another day…Headlee Pass would make a good turn around point.

Because I cut the hike short, it wasn’t nearly as much of a workout…but hiking still does good stuff for my soul. It helps me focus on what’s important. Take the border patrol…sure he was being an asshole, but I shouldn’t let him ruin my really good trip with my sister. We had a great time, those are the memories that are important…those are what should stick in my head. Hiking is good for that…it takes away the anger and leaves everything else behind. In the grand scheme of life, one bad border patrol shouldn't overshadow time well spent with family.

Slide of hike here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home