Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Lazy Jackass

I promised myself I would sit down and write today as a creative exercise…then I woke up and stuck my hand out to test the air temperature and decided it was not safe to leave bed. Surely I would get frostbites on my feet and would have to have them amputated. Bit dramatic yes, but early-morning-cocooned-in-bed logic tends to weave tragic tales of loss and sorrow if it involves unraveling self from warmth. Then after a good hour of, “I should get up and write,” and “Dear god it’s too fucking cold,” it was time to get up to get ready for work.

Since it snowed pretty heavily last night, with much of the drive home being a major death trap, I checked my email before I got ready. Snow day! The weather actually looks great but I guess all the snow created ice patches everywhere and most of my team opted to stay home. So of course I did a little dance then went downstairs to play Nintendo Wii with my little brother. I beated the crap out of him in boxing and rubbed it in his face (he’s 11, he needs to be taken down).

Then after I ran out of random things I have to do, I finally sat my ass down to write. I’ve been so lazy about writing and laziness causes more laziness which really gets on my nerves. I’m such a sneaky lazy bastard that I piss myself off at times. I still hike every weekend, which leads my friends in believing I’m not lazy, what they don’t realize is, there have been times when I sit at the trailhead parking lot and I have an argument going on in my head about how cold and rainy it is and how there might be snow and ice on the trail…blah blah… Soon as I take the first step on the trail all mental debates end and life is great, but it’s not always easy getting there.

Writing is something I enjoy immensely and it helps to jog my brain a bit in the morning, but like all exercise plans, once you fall out of the habit, it’s a bit tough to get back in. I did notice one thing during my long mental break…I’ve noticed that when I was consistently blogging my brain takes note of everything that happens in my life like I was constantly writing a story about things as I live. When I stopped writing, that note taking voice in my head stopped…like it stopped observing and examining life and quietly lived it which is good in some aspect, but I do buy into the (pompous philosopher quoting jackass alert) Socratic philosophy of "An unexamined life is not worth living."

Still, I have missed you, hope life has been treating you well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home