Saturday, March 25, 2006

Gear = Happiness

I know it's bad to have some new sports gear make you happy because it's just minor instant gratification...but I just got some new boots and bindings and pants at Snowboard Connection and I'm just the happiest person on this planet. So happy that even sitting at work right now on a Saturday doesn't faze me. We have a milestone on Monday so I can't drive up to Whistler this weekend, but even that doesn't make me less chipper. I figure I can get up a little earlier at get to Snoqualmie Alpental by 9am tomorrow and get some rolling around the snow in.
Happiness from getting some cool gear is nice...it makes you fall in love with the person around you during that time, if I was born a dude or lesbian, I would sooo ask the adorable saleslady, Shana out. She is a sweetheart though...didn't try to sell me a board that I can't really use because their inventory is dwindling and what they have doesn't really suit me. She just recommended that I keep my board, then when I asked if they could tune and mount the thing, she offered to tune it for free (if this was REI they would have charged me).
So yeah, I'm happy. My car looks like it got in a fight with REI and lost.
Now before you go and think I'm suddenly anti-REI because this place tuned my board, think again. I was there a few days ago getting new bike pedals and I was asking the guy how to install them and what tool I needed for it. He told me they required special "tire wrench" which will set me back another $20 after paying $120 for the pedals. He was telling me how to install them, when I asked if it would be possible to just have them install it because me bike "happens" to be in my SUV. (Sometimes, I have to say, I really love my gas guzzler.) The guy was so sweet, he installed everything and greased it and whatever they do...lucky he did it too, because one pedal was stuck and he brought it into their shop to clamp things down to attack it. God knows, left to my own device, I would have just gotten one pedal on and called it finished.
Why new pedals? Because I realize these fancy clip-on pedals is not so good for a beginner like me, falling off every five seconds. I want to be thrown clear next time I come flying down a hill and not fly down a hill with my bike attached to my feet. The new pedals are a hybrid and could serve as traditional pedals and clips.

Happiness is being thrown clear in a mountain biking wreck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home