Thursday, March 30, 2006

1 Gallon Served & Day 7 - Mike/Susan

I told Brian, last night, we couldn’t close out the bar because I had to donate blood the following day. He laughed and said, wow, that’s going to be one part blood and five parts alcohol. Yes, PBR at that, that’s just classy blood. I told him about my plans to get on the elliptical machine for 25 minutes in hopes of sweating whatever PBR left in my blood.
So I went to the gym today and sweated my ass off for a bit. Of course I still haven’t bothered to make polite conversation to the nice desk people. Then I went to get a sandwich made and didn’t bother saying much to the QFC people...because I was in a rush to go give blood. Yeah, good excuse. I realize I have a ton of these everyday as to why I don’t bother to stop and say a few kind words to people. The sandwich line was slow as usual, but lo and behold, one of the guys from the front desk at the gym was there.
I walked up to him and demanded to know why he was holding up MY sandwich. He said he didn’t know why it’s taking so long. I whispered that they’re usually always a bit slow here. So it turns out this guy, Mike is a manager at my gym. He’s been there for a over a year now…I’ve always thought he was cute, but could be a dumb jock. It’s a bit unfortunate, but from the short moment that I spoke to him, that myth was not dispelled. He works full-time at the gym and starts the day there at 5a.m. I’m not sure he does anything else. He loves the job for being able to workout during the slow moments. He looks stoned, I wondered if he was stoned…stoned is better than dumb…maybe.
Edit: In hindsight, it is "possible" that he is a very intelligent communicative person, but he "maybe" could have thought I was stalking him. Maybe I was flashing him a creepy smile? I have a ton of expressions, I can make fun of and/or insult someone without saying a word. It's quite possible I've got a creepy maniacal "Gotcha, bitch!!!" smile that I don't know of. I doubt it though.
After, quickly inhaling my lunch I went to give blood. They told me I was on my one gallon today! I get a pin!
<---One gallon!!! Little ‘ol me!?? That's 8 pints!
My coworker Kevin was getting bandaged up as I was being prepped…he handed me the much appreciated print-out of random funnies. This nice nurse lady, Susan, who looks around mid-to-late- 40s, prepped me. Right after she finished prepping me, her phone rings. She answered it with an apology. Being that the donation truck was small, we couldn’t help but overhear her…towards the end she said, “Yeah, I was just about to stab a girl.” Kevin and I burst out laughing. She finished, “Okay, see you in a bit.” I was still laughing when I told her, I was wondering if she was going to mention that she was about to stick me. I asked if her friend was coming to see her.
Susan: *smiling happily* Oh that was my boyfriend. He works for the blood bank too. He drives the truck. He lets me stick him too.
*pause*
Susan: Wait…I don’t mean that way. I mean...nevermind...
Kevin and I were hooting with laughter.
Me: That came out wrong?
Susan: Oh my, I’m blushing. *blushing furiously*
Kevin: Oh, I’m going to tell him what you said!
Susan: *laughing* Don’t you dare!
It took me forever to give blood this time. My low blood pressure (9x/66--I heard this is a good thing) combined with my smaller veins just made things difficult. Kevin got there a bit before me and he was ready to go when I was only 1/3 done.
Kevin: Champagne, why are you so slow?
Me: I don’t know, my blood isn’t as eager to get the hell away from me like yours.
Kevin asks Susan: Why was I so quick?
Susan: Because you have big fat veins.
Me: Yes, and a bit fat head, now stop taunting me. Am I even bleeding anymore? Maybe I'm dead.
Susan: You're fine, maybe we could put some weigh on you to squeeze those drops out.
Kevin: You need bigger veins.
Me: Kevin, you’re much bigger than me. If I had a vein your size running down my arm it would look gross.
Susan’s boyfriend walks in.
Me: Oh so you’re the boyfriend. We were just talking about you.
Kevin: Yes, it was all good!
Me: So good, Susan was blushing.
Susan: *laughing and blushing* Did I mention today was two pints minimum?
Blood donating can be fun. People are fun. It’s really adorable to see Susan so giddy. It’s bad of me to say, “for her age”…but I guess you usually see people act so mature or nonchalant about relationships when they’re older. Happiness is seeing other people brimming with joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home