Saturday, April 01, 2006

In Rain and Snow

It turns out my worries that Dennis wouldn't want to hike in the rain was unfounded. The guy was at our meeting place before me, bright-eyed bushy-tailed. Apparently he is an avid hiker and most of his hikes were in the rain. He's a programmer in my team...it's how I managed to snag him as a stand-in when Daniel bailed on Friday. We had such a good time hiking, we're planning to go on another hike next Saturday.
Dennis mentioned how much more fun it actually is to hike with someone for a change… I asked him why he would hike alone when a hiking buddy could push you. It’s true, had I hiked alone, I would have given up when I felt a little faint around the 1st mile blaming the recent blood loss…but then Dennis donated blood too and was hiking along.
I would have given up when the rain started pelting down really hard or when rain became snow near top.
<---(it was snowing like crazy on top of Mt. Si, this was taken from our lunch point next to the Haystack) I would have found a million excuses stopping hiking; I’m a lazy bastard when no one is watching. Dennis’ reason for hiking alone is because he is socially inept. This seems so sad to me. I never thought of him as socially inept because we always have such a good time chatting about hiking or programming, those are two things the two of us could drone on forever. Yet, I guess that’s not a lot of common grounds for most people.
<---(REI approved rainjacket!)
I'm glad I finally bought myself a new compact camera that I ACTUALLY carry around and take pictures with. I didn't realize I had my world's dorkiest camera bag in hands. When Brian first saw my camera bag, he called me a hippy because he thought I made a little drawstring bag for it. Then I flipped it over, he laughed, "Oh my god, that's so cute, you really are a dork." I'm not sure which is more insulting, but whatever. The bag was an old Harry Potter Bertie Bott's Beans sack. Hey, I never claimed to be a role model for coolness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home